Fundația Orange Romania
Fundația Orange Romania have co-financed all the activities you see described in this website: innovative measures to support the small-scale farming communities of the area, linked to (and deriving direct beneits from) the conservation of high nature value cultural landscapes in which they live.
ADEPT Foundation began its activities in rural development and biodiversity conservation in the Sighisoara-Tarnava Mare in 2006, when it was established CSR partnership with Orange Romania.
Orange, now Fundația Orange, support is focussed on building up the economic viability od small-scale farming communities, using an innovative approach in communications with small-scale farmers and producers, and in starting up economic and community development activities.
Support from Orange Romania, and since 2013 from Fundația Orange, has enabled ADEPT Foundation to develop a unique role in Romania – contributing to the prosperity and economic stability of thousands of small-scale farmers, while protecting High Nature Value landscape which are unique in Europe.
ADEPT successfully demonstrated that these landscapes can be a source of rural economic welfare, local identity and national pride. Orange has provided direct financial support to ADEPT of over 1 million Euros in the last seven years: through good use of funding possibilities, this support has been increased 10-fold: ADEPT activities on the ground have resulted in extra income for farmers and rural communities in the Târnava Mare area of more than 2 million Euros per year. Among these on-the-ground activities, we mention:
- helping small-scale farmers improve their access to EU funding (achieving a 7-fold increase in farmer participation in agri-environment schemes)
- training small-scale farmers to meet higher qualkity standards, for example milk hygiene which has resulted in the doubling of moilk price obtained by farmers from processors
- helping develop marketing and direct sales of local products
- developing new products and promoting traditional products
- establishing producer groups and improving farm management efficiency
- organization of markets for traditional and local products
- educational activities in schools.
As examples of increased income, ADEPT activities have generated, in 2012:
- Over € 130.000/an additional income for small producers in the area by selling local urban fairs organized by ADEPT;
- Over € 150.000/an additional income from selling milk in 8 villages, ADEPT helping farmers to improve milk quality;
- Over € 2m/an additional income for small farmers in the Sighisoara - Great Târnava through EU support measures developed by ADEPT;
- € 220.000 annual income for an association of farmers in the area, supporting accessing the model that can be replicated anywhere in the country.
In recognition of the importance of rural development activities and biodiversity conservation in the Sighisoara-Târnava area over 7 years, in December 2012 ADEPT won top prize in Europe for communicating with farmers and rural communities.
This award won by the ADEPT Foundation, in recognition as a European model of communication, is due to the strong links with Orange Romania, which we hope will continue in the future.
For more information about Fundația Orange and its activities in support of the ADEPT project, see (Romanian language only) www.orange.ro/about/comunitate-ro.html.
About Orange Romania and CSR
Corporate Social Responsibility is in its infancy in Romania, and Orange Romania has been one of the leading inspirations for the development of the concept in theory and practice.
For further information about how Orange Romania has contributed in this field, see (Romanian language only) www.fundatiaorange.ro
, and http://www.responsabilitatesociala.ro/companii/orange-romania.html